Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

After Long Silence

Lots of times I sat down to write in the last 2 months and found I had nothing really to say at the moment. Good thing I'm not writing on deadline! I'm still not sure what I have to say right now as this year ends. Actually as I sit here and think about it, silence seems appropriate as we come to the end of this year's deep dark and begin the climb into the light of the sun.

We're heading into what our country names the new year, and yet other people give that honor to other times. For myself, I've always found the descent into darkness at Samhain (Halloween) to be a more appropriate time to shed the old and prepare for the new. But one thing that has always struck me about pagan reckonings of time (and frustrated my Scorpio desire for something with borders) is that every season and every celebration is not so much about itself captured in a moment, but about the transition happening at that time. Always moving from something to something else. Even as you grasp at something to celebrate and honor, it's already gone, moving to the next thing.

Tis the season of shoulds. Yes, at this time of year we move directly from the shoulds of Christmas into the shoulds of New Year. Now is when we set our compass (and our course) for the future and yet it strikes me as a particularly bad time to do this. Swept up in a storm of everything we ought to do, everything we have to do, everything we really should do, how can we possibly get our bearings and find true North? Maybe using the guilt of everything we didn't do? I don't think so.

So maybe it really is time for silence. A walk in the cold to listen. What gift does this particular shift of season have for you? What gift do you need to bring into the light of the new sun? Where will this year take you? Let it speak to you.

copyright 2007 J. Autumn Needles

No comments: