Search This Blog

Friday, July 6, 2007

What do you want?

When I was a kid we went to a local shoe store that had a real retired fire truck inside. The shoe store was only kids' shoes and the fire truck was for our entertainment while we waited for our siblings to finish fitting or for our mothers to finish paying. We all coveted that fire truck and we all believed that the best possible place to play was in the driver's seat holding the wheel.

In all of our trips to that store over the years I don't ever remember sitting in that seat. Oh, I loved that fire engine, but I'm not sure if I ever really touched it. I remember being up close and looking at it and longing for it–it was BIG, it was RED, it was BEAUTIFUL– but I don't know if I ever actually played on it.

I haven't thought about that truck in years, but I have been thinking recently about desire and poof! the truck appeared in my memory, still BIG and RED and BEAUTIFUL. Sigh. I also remember doing a photo shoot in high school with some firefighters and their truck. Honestly, I don't think I cared one way or the other about the firefighters, but their truck!! Well... I think for me doing that photo shoot fulfilled a long held desire for the truck of my childhood and for the opportunity I lost back then.

My last post was about keeping a promise to myself; this one is about desire denied. Not denied by outside forces: no, that truck was there in that store specifically to be played on by children. I denied myself. And when I consider the reasons I can come up with all kinds of things: there were too many other kids, I didn't really want to anyway, I was too old and mature for that, we didn't really have time, I'd do it another time. But I think the truth was, I was scared of the unknown and, even at that age, I had developed the belief that desire was bad and that having it was wrong and speaking it was even worse.

What do you want? What is your desire? Speak it at least to yourself, climb up on that truck and ride off in the direction of the blaze.

copyright 2007 J. Autumn Needles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your post and your blog. I googled "no sense of direction" try to find someone who has this little hassle in life like me, and maybe a solution for it... :) and thought it was funny to find a blog with topics about Buddhism and Meditation and No sense of directions. Nice words :o) peace to you, Cristiane, New Jersey.

Autumn Needles said...

Hey Cristiane-I'm glad you found me and my blog. I'm sorry I can't give you any practical help with no sense of direction; I've never found anything useful other than a really good map! :-) Thus the inner journey... Happy travels! Namaste